Saturday, April 14, 2012

Moving on Up...Slightly



Well we hoped to move up at least 4 spots from 21 to 17 but final word from our agency this week puts us at number 19 on the list.  I keep telling myself it is better than 21.  We also were told that it extends our estimated wait time for referral from 0-9 months to 0-12 months.  I admitted to my social worker that I could not help being disappointed about this and she reminded me how the process really works.  Just because we are 19 on the list does not mean we will necassarily be waiting for 19 placements ahead of us.  As the referrals come in they are matched according to gender, age, and medical conditions that each family has specified with their applications.  If other families on the list and our profiles are similar than the smallest number up on the list usually get priority for the referral.  Another variable is that we do not know what size and make up the referral groups will be each quarter.  I told my social worker we were praying for large referral groups:)  She said surprises do sometimes happen!!!  At any rate as everyone is so kind to remind me (lol), it will happen in God's timing and when it is supposed to.  In the meantime I'm biting my nails and trying not to become exasperated as I'm stretched to become a more patient person.  It drives me crazy that my husband is so matter of fact and laid back about it all, I mean I know it's good, it keeps me in perspective, but geez typically he's the one who wants everything done yesterday!!!
On another note, the referral group in March placed alot of children on the Waiting Child List due to ages and medical conditions that families on the waiting list are, for various reasons, unable to accept.  It breaks my heart in so many ways.  I hope and pray these children find forever families soon who are equipped to handle their emotional and medical conditions.  If you are interested in learning more about the Waiting Child Program you can visit our agency at holtinternational.org.

4 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for you. I empathize with waiting... hang in there. It always made me feel better to remind myself that we were waiting because OUR CHILD wasn't ready yet (for one reason or another) so they were really waiting on us! God's fingerprints, as you know, are in this journey and will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Laura, I'm sorry. This part of the wait is SO hard, b/c it all seems surreal and far away. When you think you're going to move up further and you don't...it's those unmet expectations that add the extra twinge of torture throughout the whole process. I encourage you to read adoption books, dream, make a wish list of items, design nurseries in your head, and just keep praying for YOUR babe. I feel like it's not just patience that God teaches us, but so many other things as well. It's just not a very fun lesson. ;) Much love to you, and we will celebrate every little step with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for words of wisdom and encouragement. Already feeling blessed for the new group of friends the world of adoption has lead us to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I had hoped to moved from number 6 to 1 or 2 on the list and we only moved 1 spot. But we moved the last referral month 7 spots! We moved from 13 to 6. So, anything can happen. Hope this helps you feel a little better:)

    ReplyDelete